Friday 19 July 2013

Long Distance Family

Today was a sad day for my husband and little ones. My mother in law and her sister (they're twins and live together so my husband is very close with both) visited for the past four weeks and just went home today. They are not expecting to see the kids for two more years.

My husband and I met online and he moved here from Australia in 2006. Over the past almost 6 years of having children we have seen his mother 4 times including this last trip. She came for our wedding in 2007 when my oldest was 9 months, another visit in 2010 when my oldest was 2 1/2 and my middle son was 10 months, we visited Christmas 2011 with 4 and 2 year olds, and now they were here summer of 2013 visiting the three kids ages 5, 3, and 7 months. That's about as often as any of us have been able to afford to come and visit and take the time off of work.

It's really sad to me whenever they go. So many different stages of development are missed and they basically don't get to see the grand kids grow up. I can't imagine what it's like for my husband being so far away from his family, especially his mother. My mom lives in the same town as us and will be moving when we do. I like being close to my family.

I also feel a bit guilty - it is my fault. I'm the reason he moved up here in the first place. It's also getting harder for the kids as they get older and understand how long it's going to be before the next visit. I'm in the process of trying to talk them into moving to Canada, but so far no luck. It's too cold.

Soon I'll be moving away from a lot of my close family too. My half sister is the same age as my daughter (a whole 'nother story) and the two are best friends. They'll go from being 6 hours away from each other to 12-13 hours away.

It's a good thing for technology. At least we have Skype, iPhone Facetime, and online gaming to keep connected. It definitely makes the separation feel a bit smaller.

Amelia, who even cries for my mom, really did love her Nana visiting.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram

My Pins