Friday 28 November 2014

Hyperemesis Gravidarum


We have twins due May 31st putting me over 13 weeks pregnant at the time of this post. For the past 8 weeks or so I have been dead to the world, barely able to get out of bed let alone function as a normal human. I'm suffering from a pregnancy condition called Hyperemesis Gravidarum - often describe as acute morning sickness. Yes the one that the princess has.

This is my fourth time being sick during pregnancy. Vomiting daily was to be expected but in the past I had always been able to pick up and keep going - no debilitating nausea weighing me down. I took medication in only one of my three previous pregnancies. It sucked but I continued to work, cook, clean, and care for my family. The sickness improved around 14 weeks and was gone by 20.

Now I throw up multiples times a day with no relief. If I miss a dose of medicine I can't even eat. In the past month I lost weight and am still just hovering around what I weighed at my last doctors appointment. I force myself to eat and do everything in my power to hold down what I do. This would be considered a mild case of Hyperemesis Gravidarum. Many woman spend weeks in the hospital and eat nothing for months.

I have managed to stay out of the hospital, although there have been a few times where I should have gone in and didn't.

The worst part isn't the unbearable nausea, the vomiting, the dehydration, the soreness, or the headaches - it's the guilt. I've been completely useless to my family, can't spend any time with my children, and my husband has to make up for everything I'm unable to do. I spend a lot of my day laying on the couch or in bed. Movement will most often lead to vomiting.

I'm just ready to eat, to feel normal again. I know it can't last forever which helps but I  don't know how to tell people that I've been sick. They think I'm dramatic or just have morning sickness. This is also why the blog updates abruptly stopped.

Now excuse me while I go lose my lunch.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram

My Pins